Gas Technology Institute (GTI) was formed in April 2000 by the combination of two major research and technology development organizations serving the natural gas industry—Gas Research Institute (GRI) and the Institute of Gas Technology (IGT).
GRI was founded in 1976 in response to the Federal Power Commission (FPC) encouraging increased gas research and development (R&D). GRI administered research funding provided by a surcharge on shipments of natural gas sold by the interstate pipelines. At its peak in 1994, GRI administered funds in excess of $212 million.
IGT, founded in 1941, supported the gas industry need to train graduate engineers. IGT was affiliated with the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) as a degree-granting institution from 1941 to 1994, when IGT moved off IIT’s campus to larger facilities in Des Plaines, IL.
As the gas industry evolved, IGT also evolved in parallel and focused on a world-renowned research program with support from many industry sources, including GRI.
As a result of the phasing out of GRI’s funding mechanism, the gas industry encouraged GRI and IGT to combine activities. In 2000, the GRI/IGT combination became official and today, GTI offers the strengths of both predecessors, positioned as a leading research, development and training organization serving the global natural gas industry and energy markets.